Sunday, July 14, 2013

Bordering on Ambivalence

I have no sense of ambiguity about the need to punish con artists. I am also certain that taking advantage of people is always unethical. I don't want there to be any doubt that I see the individuals being fleeced in the "Chinatown 'Blessing Scams'" as victims and the perpetrators as scumbag criminals. However, part of me has a hard time being all that sympathetic. The NPR news story only gives a few examples so I do not know all the details. Some of the elderly women targeted may not have their full mental faculties in which case it really is very tragic. I doubt that is true of all those who were scammed. The rest I find it difficult to feel that bad for since it occurred largely due to their own superstition fueled ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment