Sunday, April 13, 2014

The internet is not "killing religion."

Jessica Ravitz' CNN Belief blog post "Is the Internet killing religion?" is probably one of the best pieces I've ever read on that site. The question posed in the title is interesting if a little misleading. What is most impressive is the fact that the title doesn't necessary reflect the content yet is still connected to it. Ravitz does not write the piece with a foregone conclusion in mind. Her intent seems to be to encourage others to seriously think about the question and its possible implications.

Personally, I don't believe it is possible for the internet to kill religion. I seriously doubt religion will ever completely go away. Even if I am wrong on that point, which I hope I am, I fail to see how the internet could be the sole or even primary cause of its demise. The internet is really just a tool. It does make the dissemination of ideas much easier and faster but it is the ideas that matter the most. It is unquestionable that the internet is playing an important role in a variety of discussions and debates across numerous subjects. I am not trying to belittle its importance and usefulness. I just think it is important to try to keep things in perspective.

The internet will never be a killer of religion. At best, it may end up being an accessory to attempted murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment