Monday, March 19, 2012

Flipside Jesus: Anti-Intellectual

Since Christians seem to love speculating about the “true” nature of Christ and what Jesus would do I figure why not throw in my own interpretations. After all, any discussion/commentary on Jesus is a matter of interpretation. Assuming, and it’s a huge assumption, that Jesus ever existed the details of his life and works as portrayed in the New Testament is laced throughout with discrepancies and contradictions.

The first aspect of Jesus I’d comment on is the view that he was a wise teacher. A a former teacher I have always felt that beyond specific content a teacher should instill a love of learning or at the very least seek to increase students ability to think. There are numerous passages that lead me to believe that not only did Jesus fail to do this he actually sought to do the opposite. Jesus seems to prefer followers that were both childish and ignorant. For the sake of brevity I will only include two such passages. There are others. I encourage people to look for them. You’ll probably find all sort of other interesting tid-bits along the way.

“And said, verily I say onto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.” (Matthew 1:3)

“In that hour Jesus rejoiced in Spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them onto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.” (Luke 10:21)

If anyone can offer an alternate interpretation I’d love to hear it. Please, do not use the tired “humble” apologetics. It was lame the first time I heard and I have heard too many equally pathetic variations. If you’re creative I promise not to grade too harshly.

I should also add that it is the King James version that I quote.  I don’t necessarily have a preference. I don’t want to give the impression that I favor Protestants.  I tend to go with the King James because it is the first version I read cover to cover and the one I have most often re-read (and therefore the one with the most book marks and notations).

No comments:

Post a Comment