Saturday, March 31, 2012

Anti-Abortion and Pro-Gay, Maybe

It seems that a favorite Bible passage among anti-abortionists has become a favorite among advocates for Homosexual rights. A few verses of Psalm 139 are being used to support both groups goals. While I support the idea that all people should be treated equally I find it a bit disturbing that Gay rights groups are citing the Bible. I realize simply repeating the Bible is a worthless piece of shit doesn't really accomplish much and I'm not holding out much hope that specific examples like the drivel found in David Van Biema's "Psalm 139 Used By Pro-Life, Gay Rights Group" will be more successful. I still find the need to make the attempt.

The fact that two groups who not only share no common ground but are generally opposed to one another can use the same Biblical passage should send up red flags. The verse specifically cited is not from the King James edition but is fairly similar. There are some nuances that make the King James version a little less useful but that is, of course, one of the points I have often made. There are a multitude of variations just in terms of edition and translations. Even if everyone could agree on one version (good luck with that) most verses are still vague enough to be interpreted numerous ways. This is all before you get to the problem of context, or more accurately a lack of context. Most verses are cherry-picked from the larger passage in order to avoid anything in the same chapter that may confuse or contradict the desired purpose.

The favored passage discussed in Van Biema's piece is Psalm 139 verses 13 and 14, which reads in King James as follows:
"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother'swomb.
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

The marvelously made bit is pleasant enough. I can see latching on to that but what is with the fearful part?
Perhaps if you continue reading you might come up with an interpretive answer. I did. Verse 19  seems as good as any for explaining the fear referenced previously. It starts with, "Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God." Of course he will. If you've read the Old Testament and familiarized yourself with Mosaic Law you should be aware of the massive number of behaviors and even lack of behaviors that make one "wicked." If I actually believed in God I'd be scared shitless since it is virtually impossible to not be wicked and the God of scripture routinely initiates rather savage murder sprees.

You don't often see Christians cite those fun verses.

Any text that requires a massive amount of cherry-picking and interpretation to make it palatable should not be seen as a source of authority for anything. Whether the goals are worthy or not mixing passages from the "Good Book" in can only make the cause seem weak, desperate, and inhumane. Liberals, please stop doing it. Let conservatives have the scriptures. After all, it seems to suit their knack for hypocrisy, contradictions, and corruption.

No comments:

Post a Comment