Saturday, January 7, 2012

Supreme Liar

Examining the God of scripture may help explain why a majority of Christian fundamentalists and evangelicals are so hypocritical and ethically challenged. The claiming that the Bible is literal is idiotic enough but their failure to acknowledge that it is impossible to actually follow such a literal reading is both hypocritical and delusional. I find it odd that anyone would even want to follow such a horrible role model as the God portrayed in the Bible. There are any number of traits and incidences that expose this God as a treacherous being. For the sake of brevity I'll stick to one trait in this posting: lying.

I can't think of any Christians who would claim lying is ethically or morally acceptable and yet God is a liar.

"And I will set my face against that man, and will make him a sign and a proverb, and I will cut him off from the midst of my people; and ye shall know that I am the Lord.
And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel." (Ezekiel 14:8-9)

So God lies to his own spokesman and then kills him. Nice boss!

"And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie." (2 Thessalonians 2:11)

Even though the cause (opposing Satan) seems positive it is still lying. Of course, it is also contradictory since deception is generally considered the domain of Satan. Why couldn't God use the truth to fight Satan?

Earlier in the Bible God uses deception to ingratiate himself. This seems a bit odd coming from a being who is suppose to be incredibly if not all powerful. In Genesis God tells Noah his name but then later when he is sweet talking Abraham insists that he is honoring him by allowing him to be the first to know his name. Either God has a really bad memory or this is another example of lying. There are, of course, variations of all these tales and more examples that clearly indicate that God has no problem lying.

Shouldn't a divine role model provide better examples. I'd cut the fundamentalist and evangelicals some slack but then I'd have to do the same for every other ignorant delusional fool. That would only lead to a higher level of stupidity and bad behavior. So, I continue to view them with the contempt they have earned and will consider their Sky Daddy a mythical asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment