Saturday, January 21, 2012

Misused and Abused: Spirituality

Over the previous decade or so the term spirituality has become far more commonplace. If it didn't denote something that is so important to so many I would be tempted to say it has become fashionable to use the term and its variations. Believing in ideals and values that go beyond us as individuals is important and should not be scoffed at. Unfortunately, that is not what Spirituality really means. I don't think most people who use the term understand its origin or its meaning.

I keep hearing things like, "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" or "I don't believe in religions, I believe in being spiritual."

It seems to me that what most people who use the term in this manner really mean is that they do not follow and/or believe in organized religion. Even though spirituality and religion are not completely synonymous they are interdependent. If you are "spiritual" you are by definition religious and vice versa.

Looking at a few dictionary entries might help demonstrate what I mean a little better.

Penguin English Dictionary defines spirituality:
1.sensitivity or attachment to religious values
2.a practice of personal devotion and prayer

Collins English Dictionary defines it:
1.the state or quality of being dedicated to God, religion, or spiritual things or values, especially as contrasted with material or temporal ones.
2.the condition or quality of being spiritual.
3.a distinctive approach to religion or prayer: the spirituality of the desert Fathers.
4.(often plural) Church property or revenue or a Church benefice.

It seems pretty clear to me that spirituality is definitively linked to religion. So why do people misuse this term? Simply separating from organized forms of religion does not seem to completely explain it. I suspect that those who describe themselves as spiritual but not religious may understand, at least subconsciously, that religions are nonsense. They may also have some sense that beyond being subjective and silly it is also frequently harmful. Who wants to be associated with that? In the end, spirituality is essentially a slightly diluted version.

No comments:

Post a Comment