Friday, June 7, 2013

"Wasting food is like stealing from the poor"

I don't disagree with some of the things Pope Francis touched on during a speech he gave this past week. I just happen to find it rather amusing, in a twisted way, that comes from such a pampered individual. The last paragraph of the short Religious News Service piece, "Pope Francis: Wasting food is like stealing from the poor", tries to deflect legitimate criticism of the Pope's seeming hypocrisy with a rather superficial excuse.

"The Argentine pope has been a vocal advocate for the poor since his election to the papacy in March, and has personally practiced austerity at the Vatican, living in a guesthouse rather than in the papal apartments and cutting down on elaborate vestments and liturgies."

A have a sneaking suspicion that their idea of austerity and mine are very different. I'm not familiar with the "guesthouse" but I doubt it is anything less than luxurious. I'd also point out that every time I've seen him in the media the same pomp and circumstance that has surrounded every Pope I've seen in my lifetime has remained the same. All you have to do is look at the photograph that is included in the story and the idea of "austerity" becomes a blatant joke.


Even the most basic temporary staging can be quite pricey. I'd be willing to bet the value of that dais in the photo could feed a third world village for a few months. Throw in the value of the Pope's outfit and the five other individuals surrounding him and you can feed that same village for a handful of months more. This is all before getting into the Vatican's menu. Anyone who thinks these spoiled jerks dine on tuna fish sandwiches and mac-n-cheese or that they pay attention to the amounts heaped on their plates is an idiot.

When religious leaders start behaving in a more respectable manner rather than just offering empty rhetoric I might consider taking them as sincere and decent. Till then I see no reason not to call them out as liars and hypocrites. All evidence seems to support my rather low opinion of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment