Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Saviors" in Literature

My preference is for the portrait(s) of saviors and/or prophets found in literature over those found in scripture probably has a lot to do with the fact that I am an atheist. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that even many believers find the literary take on such figures to be both more interesting and enjoyable, or would if they have not read this type of literature*. I have read quite a few novels and short stories in this area and have liked virtually everything I have come across. Other than the presence of a savior/prophet figure(s) there is a wide variation among them. I may at some point in the future recommend other works but for now I would like to recommend three novels in particular.

Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

Rudolfo Anaya's Jalamanta: A Message From The Desert.

Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Bif, Christ's Childhood Pal.

I have listed them in order of publication since I did not, could not, list them in order of preference. Each work is quite different in style and theme and each is wonderful in a variety of ways. I have also intentionally left out any description. I suggest that anyone interested randomly choose one and start reading. If you want to share what your reaction is I'd love to hear it. I'd also add that whether you end up liking any of these novels each author is well worth reading further works. The above are not necessarily my favorite work by that respective author.


*The works found in "Christian Inspired", "Christian Fiction", or similarly labeled sections of book stores does not count. From what I've managed to read of that "genre" it is all mindless homogenous crap. They all seem to use the same tired techniques. The elements (especially plot and character) are unimaginative and uninspiring. How anyone can tell one from another is beyond me. It is just bad writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment