Saturday, September 22, 2012

Is It Just "God rhetoric"?

"I will not take God out of my heart, I will not take God out of the public square, and I will not take it out of the platform of my party."

The first comment doesn't bother me in the least. Romney is free to believe whatever he wants. However, the second and third part I have major issues with. Insisting God belongs in public policy and/or politics is not acceptable. Whether it is simply a matter of rhetoric as Merica questions in "On campaign trail, Romney ratchets ups God rhetoric" or not it is still ample reason to distrust Romney. It still, at the very least, implies that he is willing to use a divisive topic like religion to get what he wants. It means that as a leader he will be intentionally divisive and manipulative right from the start.

Then again, if he is sincere he is on the edge of being a theocrat. That is even worse. Anyone who can justify policy/governance on what they subjectively believe God wants is a threat to our well-being and way of life. Either way Romney and all the others who are part of the religious right or pander to them scare the shit out of me. They should scare the shit out anyone who believes in freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment