Friday, June 15, 2012

A Happily Married Gay Mormon?

A am a bit skeptical about this self-professed "happy" married gay Mormon. He states quite clearly that he is still attracted to men even though he is married to a woman. I have two major reasons for being rather skeptical of this situation.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could be content let alone outright happy if they were in constant conflict with a major aspect of their personality. The other seemingly contradictory aspect of his married life is his claim to having "an extremely healthy and robust sex life." How? He says has no attraction to women. Sex without attraction sounds rather mechanical and devoid of emotion to me. I certainly would consider that healthy.

I'm not buying it. That is not to say I don't hope that he really is happy. Like Hemant, who's June 12 Friendly Atheist post brought the story to my attention, I would wish him the best. If he has found a way to be happy while in conflict with his own nature, good for him. It is still sad that he finds it necessary to live in such conflict. I suspect he may be confusing contentment with genuine happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment