Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Label Does Not Make You "Better"

"Are Atheists Better People Than Christians?" NO! As an atheist my response to Christian Piatt's May 18th HuffPo piece may seem surprising. I do not hide the fact that I believe religion, Christianity included, to be harmful crap. However, that does not mean I think less of religious people as a whole. I do not. Simply fitting a particular label/category does not make a person good or bad. A person who falls within a particular label may be "better" at certain things but worse at others.

There are certain things that I think atheist have a firmer grasp on. I would agree that atheists in general are better critical thinkers. I also think you have to take into account variations within such broad categories as "atheist" and "Christian." I think liberal atheists are "better" in terms of ethics and morals than fundamentalist Christians. And yes, that opinion is rather biased. I do think it can be supported. A liberal atheist is far more likely to consider the wants, needs, and interests of an individual and society at large before a fundamentalist who is beholden to a prescribed outdated set of rules (AKA scripture).

Does that really make all atheists better than all Christians? If you think it does than I have to assume you're as much a self-righteous deluded asshole as any fire and brimstone Bible-thumper. People's behavior and what they do with their beliefs is far more important than the beliefs themselves. That is not to say beliefs don't matter since they do tend to push us toward particular types of behavior. If you believe nonsense but still act like a decent caring human being than you are a decent human being. That is what I care about the most.

So, to Mr. Piatt, I am not better because I am an atheist. Assuming I am better, I am so because I care about my fellow human beings and act based on that concern. NO ONE is better just because they carry a specific label.

*The Piatt article is worth reading. He does make some valid points. It is the overall tone I found very disturbing rather than some of the specific points and examples. I kind of liked the church sign he included. I would as point out that the flip side is also true. I would take a kind Christian over a hateful atheist.

No comments:

Post a Comment