Saturday, April 7, 2012

Atheists + Gathering = Evil

Atheists + Gathering = Evil. Unfortunately, to many theists this simple equation is a foregone conclusion. Adam Lee did a pretty decent job summarizing the Christian right's reaction to the recent Reason Rally. I find it difficult to fathom why there are any atheists left that keep insisting that the tone with which we speak matters. As far as I can tell the rally was well organized, very civil, and at no point advocated unprovoked hostility towards believers. Yet, every believing pundit who commented on the gathering made it out to be a horde of barbarians with the sole agenda of wreaking havoc on all around them.

Lets face it, when it comes to atheists it does not matter in the least what we say or how we say it. The fact that we exist and are willing to say we do is all the religious right need to viciously attack us. I am in no way condoning violence but I am say fuck being polite. If they are going to be rude to us and then slap us with the label why not own it. I'm not Christian. I don't have to go by that "turn the other cheek" bullshit (not that they do, either).

No comments:

Post a Comment