Saturday, August 6, 2011

Not all is negative

While reading a piece form the book This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women I realized all my blog posts tend to be negative. I don't generally think of myself as a negative person. After reading the follow passage from Oscar Hammerstein II's "Happy Talk" I really had to stop and think for a little while.

"I have an unusual statement to make. I am a man who believes he is happy. What makes it unusual is that a man who is happy seldom tells anyone. The unhappy man is more communicative. He is eager to recite what is wrong with the world, and he seems to have a talent for gathering a large audience. It is a modern tragedy that despair has so many spokesmen, and hope so few.
I believe, therefore, that it is important for a man to announce that he is happy even though such an announcement is less dramatic and less entertaining than the cries of his pessimistic opposite."

Well, I am happy. I have a great life! I have a loving wife and two wonderful boys. I have a job I truly enjoy. I have great friends. Even though we are by no means wealthy, we are not in jeopardy of losing our house or going hungry. I really do have a great deal to be thankful for.

As for the negative posts, I can only assume that it has to do with fear and passion. I never want to lose those things I all too often take for granted. I also firmly believe that everyone deserves a chance at happiness. I may sometimes take thing too personally or get caught up by a momentary instinctive or emotional reaction but that may not be so negative in the end. I will continue to criticize and fight but I'll also try to remember all the wonderful aspects of life that surround us.

It is not all negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment